|The end of summer marks the beginning of busy back-to-school season. From PTA meetings and fundraisers to team parties, there are lots of gatherings that require delicious baked goods. To make sure everyone who attends can enjoy the treats, try the gluten-free Brookie. It’s a creative combination of two favorites: half chocolate chip cookie, half brownie, perfect for all tastes and dietary preferences.
“These recipes are so good, guests won’t believe they’re gluten-free,” said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. “And, you don’t have to sacrifice flavor because all our extracts are gluten-free – so feel free to add a splash of raspberry, peppermint or orange extract to the batter.”
Try these tasty gluten-free treats below for your next fall gathering – and don’t be surprised when they’re the first to disappear:
For these recipes and more delicious gluten-free baking ideas, visit McCormick.com, Pinterest.com/McCormickSpice or Facebook.com/McCormickSpice.
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sorghum flour
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 cups cornstarch
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1 package (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. For the brownie batter, mix granulated sugar and cocoa powder in large bowl. Set aside. Mix cornstarch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Microwave butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until melted. Stir in cocoa mixture until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well blended. Set aside.
- For the cookie dough, mix cornstarch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop brownie batter by scant tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Top each with a rounded tablespoon of cookie dough, placing it slightly to the side of instead of directly on top of the brownie.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookie is lightly browned and brownie is set. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Makes 5 dozen.
Read labels of all recipe ingredients to ensure all are gluten-free.
Flavor Variations: Substitute any of the following flavor extracts for the vanilla extract in the Brownie Batter. Prepare Cookie Dough as directed.
- Gluten-Free Raspberry Brookies: 1 tablespoon McCormick® Raspberry Extract
- Gluten-Free Peppermint Brookies: 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Peppermint Extract
- Gluten-Free Orange Brookies: 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- Gluten-Free Almond Brookies: 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract