|HUNT VALLEY, Md. (March 8, 2016) – Creamed peas, deviled eggs and seven-layer salad have been Easter menu mainstays for decades. But with 59 percent of millennials now hosting holiday family gatherings,1 retro dishes are getting a flavorful facelift to suit a more playful Easter menu. McCormick has created fresh twists on Easter classics – from avocado and chipotle deviled eggs to a tater-topped vegetable casserole.
“With the baton being passed to a new generation of hosts and hostesses, we’re seeing flavor and ingredient changes to nostalgic family dishes,” said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. “Try changing up the filling in classic deviled eggs. We added hot sauce, ranch dressing, paprika and ground mustard for a Buffalo Ranch version that’s sure to be a crowd-pleasing Easter appetizer.”
Old Sides, New Tricks
- Creamed Peas – This side dish will have guests saying “peas and thank you” to seconds. Twist up the traditional peas with this comforting alternative that includes dill weed and mushrooms for added flavor.
- Layered Spring Vegetable Casserole – Introducing an alternative to the seven-layer salad. Celebrate the season’s bounty with this bright dish boasting layers of veggies like asparagus, baby carrots and peas topped with basil, bacon and parmesan cheese.
- Cheesy Broccoli Tater-Topped Casserole – Potato tots and casseroles may remind you of grandma, but this mashup was definitely not on her menu! Combine broccoli and cauliflower with golden baked tots and cheddar cheese for a rich and creamy side.
- Two Potato Au Gratin – Upgrade potato au gratin by baking sweet potatoes and russet potates in a creamy Gruyere and Cheddar cheese sauce.
Hip Ham Glazes – Add flavor to your ham centerpiece with simple-to-prepare glazes. Try Orange, Cherry Bourbon, Apricot Pineapple Chipotle or Lemon Ginger.
Deviled Eggs a Half-Dozen Ways – These Easter menu must-haves are a snap to customize with unexpected flavors that people of all ages will love. Try Dill Mustard, Smoky, Avocado Chipotle, Southwest, Tarragon Caper or Buffalo Ranch.
- Tip: Whether you’re making standard deviled eggs or a flavor-boosted variation, a high-quality paprika is a pantry essential. McCormick sources whole pepper pods to make paprika – giving you vibrant flavor from source to bottle.
Sweet On Spring
- Carrot Cake Swirled Cream Cheese Bars – Marry two Easter favorites in this decadent treat, boasting sweet, vanilla-rich carrot cake, creamy cheesecake and a hint of lemon.
- Tip: Make sure you’re using a high-quality, pure vanilla extract to brighten easter sweets. McCormick pure vanilla extract is made without artificial flavors, corn syrup, GMOs or gluten
- Hummingbird Cake – This classic Southern Spice cake – made with sweet cinnamon, banana and pineapple – will have you humming with delight at each bite!
- Bunny Butt Cupcakes – The Easter Bunny digs into a lemony treat! Create these adorable cupcakes using simple ingredients like marshmallows, nonpareils and green food color.
- Easy Hot Cross Buns – Shave prep time by using store-bought dough to make this Easter favorite filled with cinnamon and brown sugar.
For more tips and recipes for making a retro-inspired Easter feast and colorful egg dyeing tips and tricks, visit www.McCormick.com and check us out on Pinterest and Facebook.
To download food photography, visit the digital press room at www.McCormick.com/Press-Room.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With $4.3 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavor™. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.