|HUNT VALLEY, Md., Dec. 2, 2015 — McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE: MKC), a global leader in flavor, has unveiled its annual McCormick Flavor Forecast revealing the tantalizing trends that will shape culinary exploration and innovation – in home kitchens, at restaurants and on retail shelves – across the globe for years to come.
Among the emerging trends is a spotlight on underexplored Southeast Asian fare – Malaysian and Filipino – and the evolution of our insatiable appetite for spicy. Also featured are pulses which serve as a protein-packed canvas for delicious flavors – fitting as the United Nations celebrates 2016 as the International Year of Pulses.
"Since its inception in 2000, Flavor Forecast has been tracking the growing interest in heat and identifying upcoming spicy flavors including chipotle, peri-peri and harissa," said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. "Our latest report shows the next wave of this trend is complemented by tang. Look for Southeast Asian sambal sauce powered by chilies, rice vinegar and garlic to take kitchens by storm."
Emerging Trends and Flavors
Identified by a global team of McCormick chefs, food technologists and flavor experts, these trends offer a taste of 2016 and beyond:
- Heat + Tang – Spicy finds a welcome contrast with tangy accents to elevate the eating experience.
- Peruvian chilies like rocoto, ají amarillo and ají panca paired with lime
- Sambal sauce made with chilies, rice vinegar and garlic
- Tropical Asian – The vibrant cuisine and distinctive flavors of Malaysia and the Philippines draw attention from adventurous palates seeking bold new tastes.
- Pinoy BBQ, a popular Filipino street food, is flavored with soy sauce, lemon, garlic, sugar, pepper and banana ketchup
- Rendang Curry, a Malaysian spice paste, delivers mild heat made from chilies, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, tamarind, coriander and turmeric
- Blends with Benefits – Flavorful herbs and spices add everyday versatility to good-for-you ingredients.
Alternative “Pulse” Proteins – Packed with protein and nutrients, pulses are elevated when paired with delicious ingredients.
- Matcha’s slightly bitter notes are balanced by ginger and citrus
- Chia seed becomes zesty when paired with citrus, chile and garlic
- Turmeric blended with cocoa, cinnamon and nutmeg offers sweet possibilities
- Flaxseed enhances savory dishes when combined with Mediterranean herbs
Ancestral Flavors – Modern dishes reconnect with native ingredients to celebrate food that tastes real, pure and satisfying.
- Pigeon peas, called Toor Dal when split, are traditionally paired with cumin and coconut
- Cranberry beans, also called borlotti, are perfectly enhanced with sage and Albariño wine
- Black beluga lentils are uniquely accented with peach and mustard
Culinary-Infused Sips – Three classic culinary techniques provide new tastes and inspiration in the creation of the latest libations.
- Ancient herbs like thyme, peppermint, parsley, lavender and rosemary are rediscovered
- Amaranth, an ancient grain of the Aztecs, brings a nutty, earthy flavor
- Mezcal is a smoky Mexican liquor made from the agave plant
- Pickling combines tart with spice for zesty results
- Roasting adds richness with a distinctive browned flavor
- Brûléed ingredients provide depth with a caramelized sugar note
“Flavor Forecast is a catalyst for innovation,” said Vetter. “Around the world this year, we’re launching 56 new consumer products inspired by Flavor Forecast trends, and we’re working with our customers across the food industry – from chain restaurants to beverage and snack producers – to help them do the same.”
For mouthwatering recipes, images and more ways to explore this year’s top flavors, visit FlavorForecast.com.
About Flavor Forecast
Since 2000, the annual McCormick® Flavor Forecast® has identified top trends and ingredients driving the future of flavor. Created by a global team of McCormick experts — including chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists — the Flavor Forecast inspires culinary exploration and innovation around the world. Visit FlavorForecast.com to learn more.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With $4.2 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavor™. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.
# # #