|HUNT VALLEY, Md. (April 28, 2016) – Grab your grocery totes and head out the door, farmers markets across the country are reopening for the season! There’s a bounty of spring produce just waiting to be chopped, roasted, tossed or blended into seasonal snacks, sides, sauces and salads. Complement fruits and veggies with pure flavor from McCormick spices to create tasty dishes even kids will devour.
“I love spring, especially in New York, because there’s suddenly this flood of fresh, colorful produce to cook with,” said award-winning Chef Seamus Mullen, who recently sat down with a group of kids to talk about making fruits and vegetables more yummy by adding spices and herbs. “Kids will eat fresh produce when you add the right flavors – beyond butter and salt -- and serve it in a familiar way, from asparagus ‘tots’ to cinnamon roasted carrots.”
Asparagus ‘Tips’: Go beyond the spear, add chopped asparagus to everything from veggie tots to wontons and shrimp salad.
Oh Snap!: Peas are the ultimate symbol of spring and they’re perfect for easy appetizers or snacks.
- Try it now: Sugar Snap Pea Crisps or make a spring spread out of fresh peas to layer on toast and top with prosciutto.
- Kitchen tip: Use fresh peas within a couple of days or freeze so they keep for several months. Italian seasoning and lemon juice complement this seasonal veggie well.
Go Green: Think beyond salads and try serving seasonal greens in less traditional ways, like pureeing to make a sauce or wilting and serving with eggs.
- Kitchen tip: When buying spinach and arugula, look for vibrant leaves. Greens go well with richer ingredients like cheese, nuts, eggs, garlic and thyme.
Artichoke App: Artichokes may be intimidating, but at the “heart” of it, these vegetables are a good source of dietary fiber and make for a delicious starter.
- Try it now: Crispy Roasted Baby Artichokes with Lemon Dipping Sauce
- Kitchen tip: While artichokes are commonly served with a sprinkle of salt and dipped in butter, they actually pair well with tangy flavors. Try making a dip out of honey, light mayo and Perfect Pinch® Lemon & Pepper Seasoning.
The Fruit of Spring: Strawberries and rhubarb are ripe for the picking during early farmers market season.
Find more tips and recipe inspiration to enjoy with your favorite farmers market produce at www.McCormick.com. You can also check us out on Pinterest and Facebook.
To download food photography, visit the digital press room at www.McCormick.com/Press-Room.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With $4.3 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavor™. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.